Thursday, February 9, 2012

energy vampires

One of our Gypsies offers the following:
“They're out there . . . masquerading as ordinary people. They may lurk in your office, your family, your circle of friends; perhaps they even share your bed. Chances are, you know all too many of them. Bright, talented, and charismatic, they win your trust, your confidence, and your affection, and then drain you of your emotional energy.” -Judith Orloff
I use to get pulled into intense conversations, both long and short, that I would leave me feeling exhausted.  I frequently described these people as “suckers”.  They saw me, pulled out their straw, and sucked all my energy out before letting me go.  I’ve since learned that this is a form of vampirism.  People do it both consciously and unconsciously to those of us who are empathetic and juicy.  The unconscious ones are just as detrimental as the conscious.  They are living life haphazardly and spill their chaos and fogginess on those around them.  I thought for sure I’d have to hide out for the rest of my life to avoid these energy zappers.  Instead, I learned about people’s energy and how we can control our own.  I realized that I tended to walk around wide open in a way that would attract anyone with a real or perceived wound.  Thankfully, I began to discover more about grounding and centering my energy within myself as well as how to contain it.  Learning how to contain it has been pivotal because my energy is then no longer accessible for just anyone to take.   I have come to call this “my invisible cloak”.  I have found that I can literally be invisible to people when I need to be.  One time in particular comes to mind.  I was at a crowded restaurant when I saw a lady walk in that I knew socially, but did not feel like engaging.  Our interactions often left me feeling tired, and I just didn’t have the extra energy in me that day.  So, I cloaked my energy and did not let my eyes wander around the room. Interestingly, this lady and her friend were seated right next to me.  I felt my eyes get big as I realized this, but I stayed focused.   I remained present in the conversation I was in and did not let my attention wander.  I breathed a sigh of relief and pleasant surprise when she and her friend finished their meal and left without ever noticing me.  Because of this experience, I recognized even more that containing my own energy actually keeps others from inappropriately engaging it.  This continues to help free me up from having my energy drained as well as from getting entangled in other people’s dramas.
Luna

No comments:

Post a Comment