Saturday, February 4, 2012

Roma story

I have a friend from Kosovo...a true Roma. 

He is, among other things, a folk dance teacher and musician...that is how we met.

He teaches much more than dance..he shares his culture, his person, the way of the Roma...

One time I observed Sani interacting with a young college student who had asked
to buy a cigarette. 

"No" said Sani. "I will not sell you a cigarette.. but I will give you one."

He pulled out a cigarette and lit it for him with a grin and asked the young man
what his name was.   He lit one for himself and engaged him in conversation...
"where are you from?  what do you study?"

Though it was bitter cold and the sun was going down, I found them still talking
more than an hour later. 

Sani showed so much sincere interest in this young stranger. 
He saw past the flippant request and he reached out to the person. 
Not just for a moment, for real human exchanges cannot be measured.

I have never seen him behave otherwise.  Every person matters. 
There is never any rush or insincerity.

He is one of the most genuine people I know. 
He is a comfort to me....and an example ..and to many others, as well.
He has a meaningful and beautiful way of being in this world...

To him, with all that he and his people have suffered,
the world is still the 'mahala', the neighborhood.

All are made welcome...significant...more alive...joyful.   Human. 

Learn more at  voiceofroma.com


No comments:

Post a Comment